The concept of the North Allegheny Center of Excellence began in May 1998, when a group of citizens in our school district formed a committee to design and build a multi-purpose facility. Our purpose in building such a facility was to provide academic, extracurricular, and community groups with a location whereas these groups would continue to expand and enhance their programs. In 1999, the committee became known as the North Allegheny Association for the Advancement of Sports and Education (NAAASE). On Thursday, February 7, 2002, the North Allegheny Association for the Advancement of Sports and Education Committee held its dedication ceremony officially changing the name of the building from the Center of Excellence to the Baierl Center. In addition, the Board of School Directors accepted the keys to the building on behalf of the students and residents of the North Allegheny community.
The Baierl Center, which is appraised at a value of over five million dollars, is one of the premier educational and recreational facilities among high schools in the nation. The 48,000 square foot Baierl Center is located on the campus of the North Allegheny Senior High School and provides many amenities including:
A 130 foot by 100 foot indoor multi-purpose activity room.
Three furnished meeting and conference rooms totaling over 3,500 square feet.
A 3,500 square foot fitness center equipped with cardiovascular machines and plate loaded strength equipment.
Five furnished offices.
An 8,500 square foot mezzanine with a one-tenth mile multi-lane rubberized, cushioned jogging/walking track. Participants may use the large mezzanine area to stretch and warm up as well as cool down after vigorous activity.
An extensive training room facility equipped with whirlpools, taping tables, treatment tables and a rehabilitation area. (for students only)
Four spacious locker rooms.
ADA compliant restroom facilities meeting the needs of the Baierl Center and Newman Stadium.
Indoor/Outdoor Concession Stand for activity room service as well as Newman Stadium events.
Group and individual tours are available. Please contact the North Allegheny Athletic Office at 724-934-7238 to schedule activities, reserve rooms and/or receive tours of the Baierl Center.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Community Hours Meeting Rooms
Fall/Winter/Spring Seasons (First day of school through last regular day of school)
Monday through Friday: 5:00 am to 10:00 pm
Saturday: 7:00 am to 7:00 pm
School Vacations – Special hours will be designated during school vacations. The vacation hours will be posted throughout the facility.
Monday through Friday: 7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Saturday: 7:00 am to 1:00 pm
The Baierl Center facility hours are subject to change and may be limited by school district activities and events
*Sundays may be scheduled as a special request. Approved facility usage will require custodial overtime and appropriate rental fees.
Monday through Friday: 5:00 am to 7:00 am; 2:00 pm to 7:30 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am to Noon
Fall Season (1st Day of School to December 1)
Monday through Thursday: 6:15 – 9:15 pm
Friday: 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am – 10:30 am; 11:30 am – 2:00 pm
Winter/Spring Seasons (December 2 through last regular day of school)
Monday through Friday: 5:00 am to 7:00 am and 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm (Fitness Room – 6:00 to 9:00 pm)
Saturday: 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
***The Track is available Monday through Friday from 5:00 am to 7:00 am during the Spring season. School Vacations – Special hours will be designated during school vacations. The vacation hours will be posted throughout the facility.
*Sundays may be scheduled as a special request. Approved facility usage will require custodial overtime and appropriate rental fees.
Exception: The Baierl Center will be closed during home varsity football games, school activities, graduation, etc.
Any group approved for a fee waiver by the North Allegheny Board of School Directors will be able to use any meeting, activity or conference space at no cost. All other organizations please refer to the schedule below.
Indoor Activity Room $159/hr
Fitness Weight Room $162.75/hr
Ponce Room $96/hr
Health South Room $67.50/hr
Combination Meeting and Conference Rooms $130.00/hr
Combination Meeting, Conference and Leadership Rooms $162.75/hr
North Allegheny Residents Free
All others $98/hr
Indoor track rentals will not be available during student and community hours.
Fitness Center (One Year Membership)*
Individual Adult Membership $192
Family Membership (Immediate Family) $303
NA Employees Individual Membership $85.75
NA Employee Family Membership $170.00
Resident College Student Summer Membership $58.75
NASD Students (16 years and older)/
Resident Senior Citizens (62 years of age and older) with Gold Card Free
Fitness Center Memberships*
Any resident of the North Allegheny School District may purchase a Fitness Center membership by contacting the North Allegheny Athletic Office at 724-934-7238.
*Membership fees are payable on a semi annual basis.
North Allegheny Gold Cards
Senior Citizens must be residents of the North Allegheny School District and must present a North Allegheny Gold Card. N. A. Gold Cards may be obtained by contacting the Public Relations Department at 412-369-5445.
Cash and personal checks are accepted.
The Baierl Center’s Fitness Center will be on a yearly basis. There will be no refunds.
On occasion, building permits may be cancelled for various reasons. The athletic office will notify each group in writing of the cancellation.
General Facility Policies
1. The Baierl Center is a controlled access facility. All groups must have a confirmed building use permit to be admitted to the Baierl Center. A valid North Allegheny Fitness Center Card or North Allegheny Gold Card must be presented to be admitted to the fitness center. Exception: North Allegheny residents may use the track during community hours. All residents must sign in.
2. Appropriate attire is required at all times. Non-marking soles are the only footwear permissible in the activity room.
3. The North Allegheny School District cannot guarantee the security of valuables and will not responsible for lost or stolen items. Therefore, it is our recommendation that all valuable personal items be left at home or placed in another secured area.
4. Any display of poor conduct, fighting, abusive language, or willful destruction of school property may result in loss of facility use, privileges, and, if appropriate, further disciplinary or legal action.
5. A parent, legal guardian or other adult must accompany any participants or spectators 15 years of age and younger.
6. Animals are prohibited in the facility, unless utilized as a guide or assistant for people with disabilities.
7. The Baierl Center and the North Allegheny Senior High School are smoke free environments. Tobacco in any form is prohibited.
8. All food items must be consumed in the mezzanine and/or the concession stand areas.
9. Radios with headphones are permitted in the facility; however other audio/visual media is prohibited unless authorized by the North Allegheny Administration.
10. All postings must have prior approval from administration and then be posted on general boards. Signs may not be posted on any wall in the Baierl Center without appropriate approval.
11. Drugs, alcohol and weapons of any kind are strictly prohibited.
12. If damages occur to the Baierl Center equipment or facilities, the responsible party will pay for the cost of repairs.
13. The Baierl Center will operate in accordance with all School District’s policies and procedures.
Attention Students: All school rules are in effect while in attendance at the Baierl Center. These rules are reflected in the school district’s Code of Conduct.
14. The North Allegheny Administration is responsible for the operation of the Baierl Center and reserves the right to interpret the Center’s regulations and procedures in its best interest.
Any individual or organization that has not been approved for a fee waiver by the North Allegheny Board of School Directors must be charged for the use of our school district’s facilities
Custodial overtime is charged to all groups using a facility beyond regular custodial coverage and/or if additional custodial personnel are required for an event. Information provided on the facility use application will determine if the following fees may apply to your use of the Baierl Center:
Facility rental (per area/per hour)
Custodial overtime (3 hour minimum)
Room set up and breakdown
Equipment use (audio/visual, multi media equipment)
All charges will be based on your actual use of the facility, plus clean-up. This amount will be included in your invoice.
In addition, insurance coverage is required when an admission fee is being charged for an event. Insurance coverage is required for building use in the North Allegheny School District.
Insurance certificate must include:
1. A policy with a single limit of $500,000 for each personal injury and property damage.
2. The school district must be named as additional insured under the terms of the policy.
3. The policy must be written in such a manner that it is “Primary Coverage” regardless of any other liability insurance that the school may carry.
A copy of the insurance certificate must be sent to the Athletic Director’s office, prior to your facility use of the Baierl Center. Insurance certificates are to be mailed to North Allegheny Senior High School, Director of Athletics, 10375 Perry Highway, Wexford, PA 15090.
Parking is available on the high school campus of North Allegheny. Parking availability during regular school hours will be limited to the area designated for visitors adjacent to the Baierl Center. Parking areas inside Newman Stadium are prohibited unless directed by school personnel.
Lost and Found
Lost and found items will be kept for one month. Please contact the athletic office at 724-934-7238 for lost items. The North Allegheny School District is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Locker and Shower Rooms
The four locker rooms will be reserved for specific programs. Locker rooms and shower facilities will not be available for community use. Community lockers are located in the upper mezzanine area. All locks must be removed daily.
Room Room Number Sponsor
Vestibule . . . . . . . . . . .104 . . . . Tri-State Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Inc.
Meeting Room . . . . . . 105 . . . . The Ponce Family – With gratitude for the caring and compassion of the North Allegheny teachers and administrators.
Conference Room . . . . 106 . . . . (No Dedication)
Leadership Room . . . . .134 . . . . Health South Rehabilitation Hospitals and Outpatient Centers
Office – 1 and . . . . . . . 119 . . . . Don and Barbara Ferringer and Steve and Polly Ferringer
Office – 2 . . . . . . . . . . .118. . . . .In memory of Jeff Ferringer class of 1980
Office – 3 . . . . . . . . . . .114 . . . . Dave and Bob Seifert
Office 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . 113 . . . .The Kofmehl Family – In honor of the 1999 Boys Volleyball Team and Coach Miller
Locker Room – 1 . . . . . .131 . . . .North Allegheny Hall of Fame Association
Locker Room – 2 . . . . . 125 . . . .The Waite Family
Locker Room – 3 . . . . . .123 . . . .(No Dedication)
Indoor Track . . . . Mezzanine . . . Simakas Family
Room Room Number Sponsor
Fitness Center . . . . . . . 025 . . . . . . . . . . Wright Automotive Group Honoring “Gus” DeAugustino
Training and Rehab Center . . .016 . . . . . . Dr. Jack Failla and Family
Locker Room – 4 . . . . . ..010 . . . . . . . . . .The Bob and Jane Baierl Family
Office – 4 . . . . . . . . . . . 106 . . . . . . . . . .Dr. Brian Jewell and Family – Debbie, Brian II, Karalee and Nicholas
Multi Purpose Activity Room . . . . . . . . . . . R. A. Glancy and Sons
Indoor Multi-Purpose Activity Room – The surface for the 130 foot by 100 foot indoor activity room is a solid urethane rubber flooring manufactured by Martin Surfacing. The 3/8 inch solid urethane surface will be ideal for sporting events, yoga, martial arts, aerobics, arts and science fairs, and many additional activities. The indoor activity room can accommodate three volleyball courts or two tennis courts simultaneously.
Meeting and Conference Rooms – The Baierl Center has three large spacious meeting and conference rooms. These rooms are ideal for meetings of academic groups, booster and community organizations. The conference and meeting rooms overlook the athletic complex at Newman Stadium.
Fitness Center – Our 77 foot by 45 foot comprehensive fitness center is equipped with Life Fitness and Stairmaster cardiovascular equipment. The cardiovascular area consists of treadmills, elliptical crosstrainers, stairmasters, recumbent and upright bikes. The second major area of the fitness center is the selectorized strength equipment, and free weights.
The third major area of the fitness center includes the Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Strength Equipment and four York combination racks complete with oak platforms.
Indoor Track – The Baierl Center has a one-tenth mile indoor track with a multi-lane, rubberized, cushioned track for jogging and walking purposes. Our adjacent mezzanine area is ideal for stretching and warm-up activity as well as cool down exercises. Our indoor track overlooks the activity room.
Training and Rehab Center – The Baierl Center training and rehabilitation room is equipped with a “hydro” area consisting of two stationary whirlpools, and two portable whirlpools, and an ice machine. Other areas within the trainer’s room include taping areas, treatment tables, an injury evaluation area, and a rehabilitation area. This area aids our certified athletic training staff in the prevention, diagnostic, rehabilitation and treatment of injuries. This area is restricted to our certified trainers and our students.
1. Participants must be 15 years of age or older to use the weight and fitness equipment. Children under the age of 14 are not permitted to use the fitness equipment unless under the direct supervision of a North Allegheny employee or their parent/guardian.
2. No foods, tobacco of any kind, chewing gum, glass bottles, or cans are allowed. If you wish to carry a beverage with you, it must be water in a plastic container with a lid/cap.
3. Profanity and excessively loud and suggestive language will not be tolerated.
4. All users are required to bring a clean towel to use on the weight equipment, and to wipe down the cardiovascular equipment. (Covering the padded equipment with a towel helps prolong the life of the equipment and keeps everything clean for the next user.)
5. Patrons should use extreme caution in lifting weights to avoid potential injuries to themselves or others.
6. All equipment must remain in the area it was placed. Moving equipment from one location to another is prohibited.
7. All equipment must be used in the manner for which it was designed. Do not attempt to modify the equipment.
8. Outside personal training is prohibited. Personal assistance may be arranged through the athletic office.
9. Do not attempt to use equipment if unfamiliar with the proper use. Please ask the weight and fitness staff for assistance.
10. Appropriate exercise attire is required in the weight and fitness rooms. T-shirts, shorts, warm-up suits, sweat suits, aerobic attire, and athletic shoes are required. Sandals, open toe shoes, hard-soled shoes, string tank tops, cut-off tank tops, mesh tank tops, street clothing, and anything that compromises the safety and professionalism of the weight and fitness equipment is prohibited.
11. Personal belongings such as backpacks, wallets, etc., may not be placed anywhere in the weight and fitness rooms.
12. Please direct all questions, concerns, and maintenance needs to the North Allegheny Athletic Office.
1. A 30 minute time limit on cardiovascular machines must be observed when someone is waiting. The weight and fitness staff will determine when to enforce time limits.
2. Patrons must wipe down machines after use.
Free Weight Area
1. All weight training should be performed in a controlled, safe manner. Dropping, slamming, or bouncing of weights (both free weights and selectorized weight training equipment) is prohibited.
2. Spotters are mandatory for all lifters.
3. Dumbbell use is limited to one set of dumbbells at a time.
4. All free weights and dumbbells must be returned to appropriate racks when finished.
5. The use of chalk is prohibited.
6. Weight collars (plate restraining devices) are required for the free weight area.
7. All free weight equipment must be kept in the free weight area.
8. Weights and bars of any kind should not lean up against the walls, pillars, equipment, or mirrors.
1. The jogging/walking direction will be rotated daily. Please follow the posted direction.
2. The inside lane is for slower walkers/joggers; faster joggers should move to the outside lane.
3. Stretching is allowed in the mezzanine area only.
4. For safety purposes, no loitering is permitted on the track surface.
5. Observation of the multi-purpose activity located on the lower level should take place from the lower level. Please do not stop on the walking/jogging track to observe the activity on the lower level multi-purpose room.